Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Yes Men (THE IMPOSTURES)


        What a great idea!! These guys are kind of geniuses for thinking this up. A fake website that people think is the WTO ( World Trade Organization) website because it is http:/www.gatt.org/ (General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.) I don’t think they intentionally started to impersonate the WTO. It is just that they started receiving emails from confused visitors that thought it was the WTO. As emails started rolling in about invitations to conferences they just decided to write back as if they were the WTO.  It is a great way to get their voices heard about issues, but kind of an outrageous one as well. Andy and Mike the impostures…bringing information to the public about the hypocrisy of the World Trade Organization, or just making the WTO look really stupid! Their work is hilarious because the issues they are bringing up are so outrageous and would never really happen. Yet everyone seems like they do not have a clue that these two are bluntly making fun of the WTO.
      The part of the film where they show Andy as Bicklebauer on CNN, I believe it was. Talking about banning siestas from Italy. I started cracking up! To even think culturally that you would really get that to happen is a joke in itself. Andy and Mike have put a new form to hactivism.  They are “culture jamming activists who practice what they call "identity correction" by pretending to be powerful people and spokespersons for prominent organizations.” They’re culture jamming is brought to the publics attention through main stream press who get word of their acting taking place. When they show Andy explaining the “Leisure” suit and how it will be used, I was baffled at the fact that anyone at that conference even believed that it was happening. I can not believe that anyone did not say anything……I mean, COME ON!
    At the end of the movie when they are talking about recycling peoples shit! I am sorry but that is hilarious, that they were even able to hold straight faces when they were talking about it.  When Andy was answering one of the questions, I could not believe his response. I was glad that the class actually started calling them out on their shit.  I think what they are doing does put action into the issues that they want the public to be more aware of. One has to admit that it is clever. I would never be able to get up in front of a professional conference and talk about bullshit issues. I would just be to nervous that someone in the audience would call me on my shit….or that I would start cracking up. For Mike and Andy though I think it is an alter ego for them. Andy especially he really knows how to play his part, and his character on stage is quite different then him off stage. The YES MEN ROCK!



No comments:

Post a Comment